Friday 6 October 2017

Blake - A Poison Tree

A Poison Tree 
I was angry with my friend; 
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe: 
I told it not, my wrath did grow. 

And I waterd it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears: 
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles. 

And it grew both day and night. 
Till it bore an apple bright. 
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine. 

And into my garden stole, 
When the night had veild the pole; 
In the morning glad I see; 
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.
William Blake  
Blake is one of my favourite artists - a mystic, a visionary, precise, a wild thinker, a Kipling's cat. I first came across A Poison Tree when I was at school: at seventeen I enjoyed its rhythms, cleverness and glee. But it spoke to me in a different way decades later when I was living a life riven by jealousy, betrayal, anger and despair. And I felt completely powerless.

I hated the corrosive bite of jealousy, hated the weakness, knew I was in the wrong and resented it. My salvation, always but especially then, was art. The colours of my life then were the bilious green of jealousy, the red of passion and anger, the purple of grief for what I had lost, and the black of despair. I put them all into this textile piece, inspired by Blake and by George Eliot who wrote Anger and jealousy can no more bear to lose sight of their objects than love and One of the tortures of jealousy is that it can never turn its eyes away from the thing that pains it.

'Jealousy' is one a few cathartic pieces I made during that spiky time but it is my favourite. Every step of its creation released a different painful aspect of an impossible situation. And while it didn't, couldn't, change that situation it was my shouting into the tempest, my Medusa moment.

Felicity Griffin Clark 'Jealousy' (120x95cm)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Solnit

The rhythm of walking generates a kind of rhythm of thinking, and the passage through a landscape echoes or stimulates the passage thr...